Who we are
Our website address is: http://www.referralroom.in.
Information We Collect
We collect information about you to provide our services. In order for us to best provide our services to you (and to help make it feasible for us to do so), it is essential that we are able to collect and use the information as described in this Policy. If you are a registered user of the Platform the data collection is largely necessary for fulfilling our contractual obligations towards you and, where neither of those is the case, alternative legal grounds serve as our legal basis for processing (i.e., consent, legal obligation, and legitimate interests—see details below).
Information You Give Us
- Creating an account
- Signing up for email alerts
- Uploading a CV
- Completing your Profile or preferences
- Contacting us for technical support
Depending on how you interact with our Platform, the personal information we collect from you may vary. For example, to create an account we may ask only for an email address and password. In other circumstances, such as when you complete a form related to a particular service offering, we may ask you to provide other information, which may include your name, phone number, and/or postal address. We also collect and store certain information associated with actions you take. For example, when you search for jobs, we store the titles, locations and general salary range (if available) of jobs you search for and click on. We also store information about the job postings that you apply to, the time and duration of your activity on our Platform, and other information about your behavior on our Platform. Because much of this information is necessary for us to provide you with our service, if you don’t share this information you may not be able to use some features of the Referral Room platform.
If you connect to the Platform using LinkedIN or another social networking site (each a “Social Networking Site”), we will receive information that you authorize the Social Networking Site to share with us, which may include public profile information, birthday, current city work, school, and email address. When we receive this information, it becomes Referral Room account information for purposes of your use of the Platform. This information also constitutes personal information and is therefore subject to this Policy. Any information that we collect from your Social Networking Site account may depend on the privacy settings you have set with the Social Networking Site, so please consult the Social Networking Site’s privacy and data practices. If you come to the Platform through a Social Networking Site, from other websites or with devices that enable third parties to collect information from or about you, such third parties receive information about you subject to their privacy policies.
Referral Room provides the Referral Room Messaging Services, a two-way message proxy and relay system. By utilizing the Referral Room Messaging Service, you acknowledge that you are asking Referral Room to send these messages on your behalf. This includes your resumes, cover letters, applications, messages, questionnaire answers, responses, offer letters and other materials. When you ask Referral Room to transmit an application or a message, including, but not limited to, a signed offer letter, to an employer via Referral Room or the Referral Room Messaging Service or store such application, you understand Referral Room reserves the right to reformat such application or message.
We process, monitor, review, store and analyze such content and other materials, including via automated means, for data analysis, quality control, enforcement of our Terms, and improvement of our services. Examples of such improvements would be optimizing our search results, improving job postings, matching you with a job posting or employer, ensuring you are provided with personally relevant product features and communications, and preventing fraud and spam. As a result of this activity, or due to technical malfunction, in certain circumstances such content may be delayed or may not be delivered to the intended recipient. Referral Room may (but is not obligated to) notify you in such an event. By using Referral Room Messaging Service or otherwise providing user content through Referral Room, you acknowledge that this activity is necessary for maintaining the quality of Referral Room and for providing the Referral Room Messaging Service. Please also note that since the Referral Room Messaging Services depend on the functionality of third-party providers, there may be technical delays on the part of those email service providers.
If you enter credit card information on the Platform in connection with a purchase, that information is sent directly from your browser to the third-party service provider we use to manage credit card processing and we do not store it on our servers. The service provider is not permitted to use the information you provide except for the sole purpose of credit card processing on our behalf.
When you submit personal information to a third party and are informed at the time of collection that your information may be shared with us, we may collect that information for lawful marketing purposes.
Information We Collect Automatically
When you use the Platform, your device is automatically providing information to us so we can respond and customize our response to you. The type of information we collect by automated means generally includes technical information about your computer, such as your IP address or other device identifier, the type of device you use, and operating system version. The information we collect also may include usage information and statistics about your interaction with the Platform. That information may include the URLs of our web pages that you visited, URLs of referring and exiting pages, page views, time spent on a page, number of clicks, platform type, location data (if you have enabled access to your location on your mobile device), and other information about how you used the Platform.
Log File Information. Log file information is automatically reported by your browser or mobile application each time you access a website on our Platform. For example, when you access a Referral Room website, our servers automatically record certain information that your web browser sends when you visit any website. These server logs include information such as your web request, Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, browser type, referring / exit pages and URLs, number of clicks, domain names, landing pages, and pages viewed.
Device Information. We collect information about the device you use to access the Platform, including type of device, operating system, settings, and unique device identifiers, and IP address. Whether we collect some or all of this information often depends on what type of device you’re using and its settings. For example, different types of information are available depending on whether you’re using a Mac or a PC, or an iPhone or Android phone. We collect the device type and any other information you choose to provide, such as username, geolocation, or email address. We also use mobile analytics software to allow us to better understand the functionality of our mobile software on your phone. This software records information such as how often you use the application, the events that occur within the application, aggregated usage, performance data, and where the application was downloaded from. We do not link the information we store within the analytics software to any personally identifiable information you submit within the mobile application.
How We Use Information
We use the information we collect to provide our services. In order for us to best provide our services (and to help make it feasible for us to do so), it is essential that we are able to collect and use the information as described in this Policy.
- To provide you with personalized content, services and offers of services offered by Referral Room, as well as other promotional content and services (for example, Referral Room and its affiliates may use your previous search and browsing history (e.g. the jobs you click on), or your resume, Profile, application information, and responses to screener questions to determine relevant search results and provide you with recommended jobs on Referral Room or on sites of Referral Room affiliates, or Referral Room may reach out to you about jobs or companies you may be interested in; we also use your IP address and mobile device for these purposes); For the purposes of this Policy, “affiliates” means any entity that directly or indirectly, controls, is controlled by, or is under common control of or with Referral Room Inc., now or in the future. “Control” for these purposes means having a majority of shares or the right and ability to direct management.
- To moderate and display the employer reviews, interview reviews, salary reports and other content you have submitted for the benefit of our other users
- To customize and improve the features, performance, and support of the Referral Room site and sites of Referral Room affiliates
- To communicate with you or initiate communication with you (for marketing or service-related purposes) on behalf of third parties through your Referral Room account or through other means such as email, telephone (including mobile phone), or postal mail, including through the use of contact information that you provide to us or (where it is lawful for us to do so) that we otherwise obtain from third-party resources
- To permit Referral Room or a Referral Room affiliate to recommend a Referral Room user (and that user’s resume or resume extract) to an employer hosted by Referral Room or to an employer hosted by a Referral Room affiliate, subject to visibility settings you control (for example, Referral Room may use application materials—including resumes and responses to screener questions—to determine whether the words of any job seeker’s resume and answers to screener questions match the words of a job posting or resume query, and vice-versa, we may then differentiate matching resumes and screener questions from those that do not match, and present them to employers as matches or not matches)
- To permit Referral Room to contact Referral Room users with respect to such recommendations, subject to visibility settings you control
- To provide relevant advertising, including interest-based advertising from us and third parties, which may mean that we share non-personally identifiable information, such as your job title, to third-party advertisers
- To transmit your application and save your application materials
- To share your saved Profile or resume with employers, subject to visibility settings you control
- To allow Referral Room and Referral Room affiliates to process your personal data for the purpose of improving for internal operations, including detecting and preventing fraud and spam, troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, and service improvement (this includes use of your IP address and mobile device information to help diagnose problems with our service and to administer the Platform)
- To create aggregated statistical data that does not identify you individually and that we can commercialize (for example, we use mobile device data and IP addresses to create anonymized, aggregate demographic information)
- For other purposes that you separately authorise as you interact with Referral Room.
When we collect any information that does not identify you as a specific natural person (“Non-Personal Information”), we are permitted to use and disclose this information for any purpose, notwithstanding anything to the contrary in this Policy, except where we are required to do otherwise by applicable law. Examples of Non-Personal Information include: physical location information; demographic information, including gender, dates of birth, ZIP codes, etc.; or any personal information that has been anonymized, aggregated or de-identified. If we combine any Non-Personal Information with your personal information (such as combining your ZIP code with your name), we will use and disclose such combined information as personal information in accordance with this policy. Similarly, if applicable law requires that we treat certain Non-Personal Information as personal information, we will use and disclose this information as personal information in accordance with this policy.
What types of Cookies do we use?
We use two types of Cookies on the Platform: “session cookies” and “persistent cookies.” Session Cookies are temporary Cookies that remain on your device until you leave the Platform. A persistent Cookie remains on your device for much longer until you manually delete it (how long the Cookie remains will depend on the duration or “lifetime” of the specific Cookie and your browser settings).
What are Cookies used for?
Cookies transmit information about you and your use of the Platform, such as your browser type, search preferences, job titles, data relating to advertisements that have been displayed to you or that you have clicked on, and the date and time of your use. With the exception of an identifier Cookie that we associate with registered accounts to prevent fraud by members of the Platform, Cookies link to certain unique information such as the job titles that you entered at time of registration or on your profile, but this is not linked to your name. We use four types of cookies: Strictly Necessary, Functional, Analytics, and Targeting. You can reference which specific cookies fall into each category by using our Cookie Consent Tool in our website footer.
Preferences and Features
Analytics and Performance
Targeting Cookies: Ad Choices and Managing Cookies
Referral Room We may target ads to you, and measure their performance, on and off the Platform using:
- Member-provided profile information (e.g., job title, occupation, location, authorized information shared from your Social Networking Site)
- Your use of the Platform (e.g., search history, job clicks, companies you follow);
- Information inferred from data described above (e.g., using job titles from a profile to infer industry, seniority, and compensation bracket).
- IP address or mobile device location information (to the extent you have enabled location tracking on your device);
- Cookies (both on and off the Platform) which may include information from the Ad Partners we use to help deliver relevant ads to you.
How We Work with Third-Party Ad Partners
When we work with our Ad Partners to serve you personalized, interest-based advertising, we do not share information with them that they can use to identify you or associate with you as a specific individual unless you have instructed us to do so (such as when you fill out a lead form in an ad, or approve your Profile for display to employers). Similarly, if one of these Ad Partners has information about you saved in one of their own Cookies on your browser, they use that information to help us send you a relevant ad, but they do not share with us information that we can associate with you as an individual.
We work with third parties, such as Google Analytics, to provide analytics services that use the Cookies set on your device to measure the performance of advertising and track traffic to Referral Room generally.
Consenting to Cookies and Opting Out of Cookies
If you enable location data for the mobile version of the Platform (including any version installed as a native application), we may use your location data to serve you geo-targeted ads for employers and other advertisers that are local to you. In such instances, we do not share your location with the advertiser or advertising network; rather, we provide the advertiser or advertising network with a means to push ads through to users located in certain areas.
Choices Regarding Your Personal Information
In addition to your rights outlined above, if you are an individual consumer member of Referral Room, you can manage your account settings in the “Account Settings” page on the Platform where we provide you with the opportunity to ‘opt-out’ of having your personal information used for certain purposes. If you are an employer with an Employer Account, you can manage you can manage your account settings in the “Account Settings” page on the Referral Room for Employers website.
We will send you notifications and if, and to the extent, you have opted-in to promotional communications, or other messages using the contact information (e.g., your email address, your mobile device identifier) you provided to us when you registered or when you requested information from us. You may opt-out of continuing to receive optional messages by following the instructions included in each message. Also, you can control most of the emails you receive from us by editing your email preferences within “My Account” settings on the site; provided you will need to separately opt-out of receiving our various blog post update emails by unsubscribing to each blog that you have originally subscribed to. You can control the mobile push notifications within the “Me” section of the mobile app.
How Long We Keep Your Personal Information
We keep your personal information only so long as we need it to provide the Platform to you and fulfill the purposes described in this Policy. This is also the case for anyone that we share your personal information with and who carries out services on our behalf. Retention periods can vary significantly based on the type of information and how it is used. Our retention periods are based on criteria that include legally mandated retention periods, pending or potential litigation, our intellectual property or ownership rights, contract requirements, operational directives or needs, and historical archiving. When we no longer need to use your personal information and there is no need for us to keep it to comply with our legal or regulatory obligations, resolve disputes and enforce our agreements, we’ll either remove it from our systems or depersonalize it so that we can’t identify you.
Tips for A Responsible Job Search If we detect fraudulent activity, we remove the job posting from the Platform. However, fraudulent job postings can sometimes appear and we urge you to exercise caution in your job search. Please consider the following tips when conducting your search:
- Do not send money to a prospective employer.
- Do not give out personal or financial account information to a new employer via email.
- Do not cash checks or transfer funds for your employer.
- Beware of job postings that ask you to send your resume to a free email service address (e.g., Gmail, yahoo, etc).
- Do not include sensitive information like your National Insurance number in your resume.
- Beware of job listings with spelling errors and bad grammar.
- If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
- Do your homework. Be sure to research any job opportunity that interests you.