To perform bookkeeping and entry level accounting functions that support business processes and provide experience with Caterpillar accounting practices.
JOB DUTIES : From the outset, incumbent will be expected to be a contributing performer, doing entry level accounting work that supports business processes. Additionally, this position will:
- Gain an understanding of Caterpillar’s business and accounting practices, systems and procedures
- Learn and develop skills, which result from the practical application of basic accounting knowledge
- Provide assistance to project team members or others in the work group
The incumbent will be exposed to one or multiple accounting functions and will accomplish a high level of compilation and basic analysis work, reviewing clerical input, processing journal entries, reconciliations, and generating reports. The incumbent will identify relevant data, data sources, gather and analyze information and provide feedback. Typically, decisions will impact low risk issues and will be reviewed by a supervisor or technical leader. Work will be directed by the supervisor, but this position does not require close supervision to be effective.
Possible Areas Of Responsibility Are Varied, Including
- Processing accounting journal entries timely, accurately and completely to ensure that all financial transactions are properly accounted for
- Coordinates the monthly legal entity closing activities for designated facilities
- Verifies data accuracy in the financial documents and takes appropriate action
- Performs analysis of accounting data to support management needs
- Performs analysis of legal entity results and payables process
- Performs data collection and compilation to meet business plan, forecast, and other management reporting needs
- Handles ad-hoc assignments
- Tracking of actual product costs versus target
- Ensures there is a single source for monitoring and tracking machine costs within the cost targets that have been set.
The variety of accounting tasks ranges from low to medium complexity. Interaction outside the workgroup is typically with other team members. As the incumbent gains experience, he/she will develop a technical understanding of more complex accounting issues and expand their decision-making capability. Incumbents will continuously learn through training and experience. Learning at this level will focus on methods, processes and systems applied to accounting, developing communications skills and building knowledge of Caterpillar’s businesses, products, suppliers and customers.
The position manages the completion of its own work assignments and coordinates work with others. The position’s primary customers are internal. The position is challenged to quickly and correctly identify problems. The incumbent generally resolves issues by following departmental guidelines or applying a solution that worked in the past. The incumbent is free to determine the best way to complete job assignments in order to achieve desired results. Work is reviewed after completion, except in the most complex or high impact situations. Impacts key goals including Timeliness, Accuracy, etc. The position participates in brainstorming sessions focused on developing new approaches to reporting.
BACKGROUND/EXPERIENCE: The position typically requires a university degree in accounting or finance (or international equivalent) or in the process of completing certification. Personal computer skills and familiarity with various software packages is required. Must demonstrate initiative and the ability to communicate effectively.